Sunday 24 March 2013

A Painting and a Poem for Palm Sunday


I am on the mailing list to receive the inspiring poetry and sonnets by Malcolm Guite, the English poet who has contributed so much inspiration to Steve Bell's latest album Keening for the Dawn, and also to many of my own paintings. This morning, he sent a poem for Palm Sunday. Part of the lyric are is follows:

Now to the gate of my Jerusalem,
The seething holy city of my heart,
The Saviour comes. But will I welcome him? 

From Sounding the Seasons, by Malcolm Guite, CanterburyPress 2012

I regret that I have not had the time to ponder the Lent season myself, but as I've stopped to take a breath, I hope to use Malcolm's poetry to walk me through the final week before Easter.

As soon as I saw Malcolm's post, I knew I would write something about it. My life has been a "seething city" (in a good way), and I need to quiet my heart to ponder this blessed season. Recently, I sold a special painting called The Gate  to a dear friend. I am always thrilled when a painting is adopted by someone I know who will appreciate it. The Gate was inspired by an photo by Ebonie Klassen, and has always reminded me of the Easter season. I look at the light just beyond the lichen and moss covered iron and imagine the empty tomb. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment