Monday 20 February 2012

Regurgitating Stress

While I love my job, (like I mentioned in my last blog) it can certainly deal it's own handful of stress, and last week was a doozey. I didn't know how much I had been holding until the weekend began. I know that I paint to release stress, but this weekend I couldn't stop - it was like a very urgent regurgitation of everything inside me - all at once!

Saturday started as usual. One painting was finished by mid afternoon (The Cleansing). After dinner, I was driven to the canvas with another idea that was knocking on my brain cells. Luckily, Darl was busy with some shelving renos, so I didn't feel like I was neglecting him. The second painting was finished in two hours (The Firmament).

Sunday I woke early and started the third painting. I tried to stay away from the canvas for the afternoon and evening, but it was really hard! (Really, I tried - only sneaked in an hour).

Thankfully, Monday's Louis Riel holiday afforded me a few more hours to finish this last piece.
Originally called "The Tree", I have to update the name to "Keening for the Dawn". I hope Steve Bell won't mind my using the same name as his new advent album, but there is no other name that can adequately explain this painting.

I have been thinking a lot about Good Friday and Easter lately - and this painting is in honor of Good Friday. I represents the moments before dawn of Easter morning. The tree is ugly and thorny, the mood is raw and painful, but there is a sign of life on the side nearest the rising of the sun.

I finally feel like everything inside of me is emptied and I can rest.

Special thanks to inspiring photos by Tara Craigon (sunset) and Meggie Kornelsen (gnarly tree from Texas).

1 comment:

  1. wow. that is the best comment I can make at this time. WOW.
    amazing how God gifts you Faye.

    ReplyDelete