Thursday 6 June 2013

Dreaded "Painter's Block"

The Biggest Family in the World - a new children's book based on the life of Charles Mulli, planned for publication in 2014. This is a blog chronicling the book's creation from the perspective of the artist.


I've heard of writer's block, but in the last few years, the inspiration for painting has been flowing like a fountain for me - I guess I've taken it for granted.

Well, I've experienced my first "painter's block", sitting down to paint and just feeling weary, uninspired and uninterested. Time to pray.... Instead of giving in to my feelings of panic, I decided to sit down and re-think my time planning for working on the book paintings, and focus on praying for fresh vision, inspiration and God's will for this. Perhaps I was so excited for the project that I expected too much of myself. Perhaps outside stresses have seemed to magnify themselves, and beg me to give in to depression again. One thing I know for certain,  I can't do this in my own strength.

This is also a good time to reflect on how this project came into being. Paul Boge was in Africa in January of 2013, taking photos of places and people for the content of the paintings. One photo shoot was a mock revival service of the time when Charles Mully became a believer in Christ. This is how Paul described the moment:

Miracle Moment:


"You’d be surprised what can happen when you’re location scouting.

Charles Mulli re-enacted major events in his life so that I could take pictures of them so Faye Hall could use those pictures as information to help craft paintings for the children’s book.  In this particular scene, Mulli and I entered the assembly area at Mully Children’s Family Yatta.  He announced to the group of three hundred young people that an MCF boy was going to re-enact how he gave his life to Christ. The re-enactment went great. And right after that, Mulli told them that this didn’t have to be just a re-enactment – that those present could really give their lives to Christ.  And 9 teens got saved right that day. How cool is that?"                 - Paul Boge


No comments:

Post a Comment