Sunday 16 June 2013

Serenity - a painting

The idea for this painting began as a beautiful photo by Paul Boge on his January 2013 trip to Kenya. Of the hundreds of photos that he brought home, this was one of several that I put securely in my special file for future use in a "side" painting to accompany the paintings of the book, The Biggest Family in the World.

The face of the woman is not only beautiful, humble and serene, but it typifies the happiness and serenity of the children of the Mully Children's Family orphanage in Kenya. All of these children were rescued from street life -  prostitution, sickness, neglect, drug and alcohol and physical abuse by others. Each of their lives is a story of its own. The call of addiction and street life often lures the children back to their old way of life despite the comfort, safety and God-centred family atmosphere at the Mully home.

I wanted to paint this beautiful girl, not just as a portrait, but a way to demonstrate the lure and evil hold that an old way of life can have on one of the rescued children. Without the faith that has been offered to them, they are defenseless. The idea of groping hands surrounding her came to my mind's eye, and I decided to ask my drama team to do some "hand acting" as one of our meeting exercises.









I  waited until a day where I couldn't get this particular painting off of my mind, and began the piece. I showed the finished portrait to Martine (our drama team leader) to see if she interpreted the painting in the same way that I had intended. Her thoughts were right on. The focus (the face) embodies the name of the painting, but the chaos that she is oblivious to, represents the spiritual battle and temptations that lure behind the scenes. It is the girl's faith that shields and protects her.
To view more of my art, visit www.fayehall.com

1 comment:

  1. I'm just speechless. Keep staring at the painting. I can so relate to this picture. It's also a picture of my life. So many things are tugging at me, so many things (circumstances, problems, the past, the present) are warring for my attention. And only if I keep my focus on Jesus can I stay the course, can I keep all of the distractions at bay and walk the path in front of me. Isaiah 26:4 came to mind: You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you.

    ReplyDelete