Monday 5 December 2011

Making New Memories in Toronto

I have always absolutely LOVED Toronto! I have so many happy memories of visiting the area - most of them had been in my past (I was born in the area), and with my late husband Wern Kliewer. A couple of years after he passed, I went to Toronto by myself for a weekend to do some of the things we used to do together on visits, and to relive memories. It was a very therapeutic time, and I even repeated the visit to see "Mama Mia", the Abba musical. Wern and I had been in TO just a couple of months before he died - our last trip together.

This time I was in Toronto for an entirely different reason. My boss, Steve Bell was going to perform at Massey Hall for the first time with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra! My husband Darrell and I booked the weekend to see this prestigious milestone event  in Steve's career as a three day romantic getaway for the two of us. Oh - what a weekend it was, culminating in attending the rehearsal with the Toronto Symphony on the afternoon on December 3rd, and then the concert in the evening. We sat with two of Steve's friends and I commented to Esther as the orchestra began, that I had goosebumps!

This concert was arranged as the premiere event for the Tim Huff-led new charity "The Hope Exchange", which was created order to bring attention to, thank and give hope to people who work and live in the business of caring-for and giving-hope to others (nurses, street youth workers, social workers, etc.). Tim is a friend of Steve's who has worked for many years with street kids under Youth Unlimited in Toronto, and has written two amazing books (among others) telling of his adventures - Bent Hope and Dancing with Dynamite. The evening was emceed by Valerie Pringle and was also interspersed with poignant readings from Tim Huff's books.

That evening, Steve Bell, sporting dress clothes (with his shirt tucked in, no less!) was relaxed, funny and  his voice was the most beautiful and natural that I've ever heard. I wish that I was a more articulate writer, to describe the beauty, majestic perfection of the orchestra and the chemistry in the flow of the evening. It was magical! Rei Hotoda, the original conductor of Steve's symphony concerts (formerly assistant conductor of the Winnipeg Symphony and now working with the Dallas Symphony) was flown in for the occasion and gently but firmly took control of leading the instrumental part of the production with her usual grace and flair. Mike Janzen (who wrote every note of the symphonic arrangements), delighted us all with his own personal symphonic version of Chim Chim Cheree from Mary Poppins. His newest Broadway tunes CD is entitled "Try to Remember". Another memorable piece was Steve's "Moon Over Birkenau" along with his personal story  about writing the music.

Perhaps it is because I'm a huge Steve Bell fan, employee and supporter that I'm particularly biased about this concert, but I think the standing ovation and the encore featuring a more intimate side of Steve and his bandmates spoke volumes and finished off the evening to perfection.

Our three day getaway created so many wonderful and varied new memories of Toronto to share with my husband Darrell. We visited Queen's Quay, Chinatown, Casa Loma and Union Station, and walked or rode the TTC until our legs and feet ached. I love to sit in the front seat of the trains, hurtling through the tunnels into the darkness. Me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment