Saturday 17 December 2011

The Year in Three Words: Renovate, Prolific and Restore

In reading what I wrote in my journal at the beginning of 2011, I realize now that I was very pessimistic about the coming year. I didn't feel confident about the future in many aspects of my life, except for the security in the love of God and my marriage. Those two things I clung to with ferocity.

Renovate: A women's Bible study at my church on the "fruit of the spirit" fed me spiritually as I struggled with issues of pride and forgiveness.I devoured helpful books like Laying My Isaac Down and Healing Soul Misery, and books by Frank Peretti dealing with spiritual battle. I bought a beautiful piece of racu art - a clay "spirit shield" by local artist Gloria D'Neve, to remind myself about the armour of God, and the spiritual swordplay going on behind the visible world. I learned to pray deeper, drink deeper from the Word and release myself through painting. While I still have a long way to go in my faith journey, it is a joy to discover the surprises that God has in store along the way.
While renovating my spiritual walk, my husband and I were renovating our home, and building a gallery to show my paintings.

Prolific: Sept. 2010 to Sept. 2011 resulted in (I counted them) 69 paintings. In hindsight, the themes of depression and turmoil, then joy and life aptly chronicled my year. The paintings had to be prepared for showing in my first solo show in September, and then at the Manitoba Art Expo in November (among other showings). I had to resurrect my freelance business in order to take care of the tedious side of selling art. Not only prolific, this was the second busiest year since I married Darrell and started my new job at Signpost Music in 2007.

Restore: The year also held joys and blessings galore to further restore my outlook. My sister and her family came for a week-long visit in the summer. We took family photos with our dear Mother who is in a care home with dementia. Our grandsons are also such a joy in our family life. I discovered that not only was my art restoring myself, but others viewing it were  also being blessed - what an honor! An art tour to Philadelphia in September taught me a great deal about Rembrandt, portraiture and faith, and was a relaxing break to gain perspective, and a weekend with my husband in the beginning of December to hear my boss Steve Bell sing with the Toronto Symphony at Massey Hall in Toronto was a fitting climax for a fabulous yet busy Christmas season.

A full year. A terribly busy year. Through it all, I discovered that Grace Like Rain (sermon series by my Pastor) comes after The Perfect Storm (one of my paintings). I am thankful for my marriage, our jobs, our family, friends and church. I will not view 2012 with pessimism - but with optimism and hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment