Saturday 31 December 2011

Pondering the Meaning of Art

I had a rare day off yesterday, and after my massage, hair appointment and fantastic coffee from a new place on Main Street called "Parlour Coffee", I sneaked over to the Winnipeg Art Gallery for a quick view of William Kurelek's exhibit "The Messenger". Mistake. I didn't allow enough time to thoroughly peruse the exhibit, although I'm so very glad I went, since the man's genius inspired me in many ways. What a great way to start the new year!

At the exhibit, I was standing with several people in front of a complicated and very detailed painting representing the results of a nuclear bomb upon the Hamilton/Toronto area, and a woman nearby said, "I certainly can't see this one in my living room."

This comment made me ponder the meaning of art in general. I have learned so much about art in the last little while, and realize that there is so much about art that the general population doesn't know. It's like Kurelek's painting of a barn where it shows children laughing and playing inside while the roof is an inferno. They go along their merry way, not realizing that there is an inferno looming. It's that way with art and music. Art is not just something that matches your livingroom colours, and music is not just a pleasant melody to listen to. There is so much more going on around us in this world and in the Spiritual realm that we are unaware of in our daily lives. It's our job to perk up our ears and look around, observe and discover what we can learn about our existence on this planet. "True Art" makes us think and feel.
My boss Steve Bell's music is true art. He doesn't write music just to please the masses - he writes music to please his heavenly Father - music that will also bring a meaningful message to the listeners, encourage them and draw them to know the Creator of all art and music. His lyrics are poetry, much of which is borrowed from precious Scripture. Art is a gift from God.

I have learned this with my painting also. I am not painting just to please the senses of the viewers, but to bring across a positive message of joy, love, hope and beauty. My faith and world outlook just naturally translates onto the canvas. Many people have commented that they have a positive sense of well-being when viewing my art. One woman bought a large print of "Faith", just because looking at it makes her feel good, as she struggles with a debilitating mental condition. Finding that my art can help and encourage others just makes me want to create more.

When I started painting in 2008, I had no plan, no vision or reason to paint, other than I knew I had to. As I learn and create more, God is unfolding the curtain increments at a time so that I can see light and shadow of the unfocused path ahead, and I will follow as best I can. I know His plan is best, since everything I plan falls short. It's an exciting journey...

To view more of my paintings at my website, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment